- This event has passed.
Sharon L. McCarthy Participates In A Panel Titled “How to Navigate Defending PPP, EIDL and ERC Cases” At The ABA 2023 May Tax Meeting
May 6 @ 10:30 am - 11:30 am EDT
Sharon L. McCarthy participates in a panel titled “How to Navigate Defending PPP, EIDL and ERC Cases” at the American Bar Association’s 2023 May Tax Meeting in Washington, D.C. on May 6, 2023.
The Paycheck Protection Program and Economic Injury Disaster Loan programs were designed to push money out to those who needed it the most, right away. Similarly, the Employee Retention Credit was designed to provide a financial lifeline to certain businesses. Now that the dust has settled, the IRS, the FDIC, and the DOJ are working together to prosecute those suspected of abusing the programs. This panel offers an in-depth analysis of how these cases are referred to the IRS and FDIC, how they are investigated, how they are charged, and strategies for defending them.
- Understand how and why the government is investigating and prosecuting abuse of the relief programs.
- Identify indicators that trigger audits, fraud examinations and criminal cases.
- Develop strategies for defending clients suspected of abusing the relief programs with a focus on mitigating factors.
- Damon Rowe, Partner, Meadows Collier Reed Cousins Crouch & Ungerman LLP
- Sharon L. McCarthy, Partner, Kostelanetz LLP
- Eric Hylton, Director of Investigations, Zerbe, Miller, Fingeret, Frank & Jadav, LLP
- Kathy Enstrom, Director of Investigations, Moore Tax Law Group, LLC
Click here to learn more and register.